Leica X1 "Fever" Spreading Like Wildfire

Discussion about your accompanying cameras (like dslr;)

Re: Leica X1 "Fever" Spreading Like Wildfire

Postby johnmacp » Fri May 21, 2010 8:05 am

Whoa - 30 years ago I used to have a 'compact' camera. It used stuff called film. The camera was pretty large, and the film stuff came in a thing like a half-sausage. It had a focus system that you used your hands to operate, and it was easy to get it wrong. You could take close-up pictures but it involved all sorts of adaptors to do it. It took photographs with some input from me - quite a lot of input. The b&w images were made up of lumpy stuff we called grain, but people didn't care. One french chap called Henri used one of these cameras and took lots of really nice pictures which people now spend a lot of money to own. I think these people are able look beyond the lumpy stuff and concentrate on what the lumpy stuff is showing us.

Today I have a GRD3. It is tiny. The film is tiny. It focuses by itself and makes a very good job of getting it right. It does close-up images so close the subject almost touches the lens. It even sets its own exposure and gets it right most of the time. It can take pictures in just about any conditions really quickly. I can fit this marvel in a cigarette packet, but I dont smoke so I use my shirt pocket instead. A lot of photographers use these cameras and take images of our world that would otherwise pass by and be gone. Some of the images have lumpy stuff in them, its called 'noise'.

(To be honest, its really just grain, but the people who invented these devices guessed that users would make a lot of noise about how much lumpy stuff there was in the pictures so they called it 'noise').

Attachments
Ricoh3128 1.jpg
The cat looking for the pigeons so it can get amongst them..........
(238.09 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
johnmacp

Postby Muddy » Fri May 21, 2010 8:52 am

...A lot of photographers use these cameras and take images of our world that would otherwise pass by and be gone. Some of the images have lumpy stuff in them, its called 'noise'.

:D :D (To be honest, its really just grain, but the people who invented these devices guessed that users would make a lot of noise about how much lumpy stuff there was in the pictures so they called it 'noise').

johnmacp.... :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: you make my day....and for pic above ...noise is beautiful. :D
Muddy
Site Supporter

Postby thelps » Fri May 21, 2010 11:15 am

jsrockit wrote:Well, I'm one of the people, who I guess you think are foolish, who bought an X1. Why did I buy it? Simple menus, dedicated dials, nice design, big sensor, good lens.

PS: Why did you spend so much time researching a camera you hate so much? It seems like it is many people's hobby on the internet these days.

Well I for one don't think you were foolish. The X1 is a just a choice - like so many other cameras - we have so many to choose from. Sure the X1 has some issues, i was surprised to see CA in some samples posted here, but on other samples I have been amazed at the lack of CA, the X1 is certainly sporting one of the most tack sharp lenses in any compact, but I would expect at the focal length and max aperture.

As for cost, many cameras are absolute bargins these days, by that i mean the cost of a good, well built advanced compact is waaay cheaper than the earlier film cousins. I can recall the Contax T3 being released at AU$2300 and there is a whole lot less tech in the T3 than the X1. Perhaps the X1 is costed because its more hand crafted, this costs money. I had the X1 on my list when it was announced, but I've reconsidered my needs and moved to a GF1. I had a Leica MP for a few years, if you want to know expensive I could have bought two X1's for the cost of the MP and 50mm - but such is the retained value I sold the MP for about what I paid for it. I bet in a few years you could sell the X1 for near what you paid - the Leica badge holds it value.

I don't think there are many bad choices of camera, only differnt choices, if they were a bad camera no one would buy them, especially in a tough market like the quality compact. Each to their own.

Nonetheless I hope we all remain friends here, I'd be pleased to see some of your X1 images in the open pictures forum! :)
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Postby chn68b » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:47 pm

There will always be a market for top of the range goods like the Lecia. I must admit that if I had the money, I'd probably get one myself as the the little red badge is something I've admired for so long and for so long the reviews I've read have been so positive. There is something special about that red Leica identifier that is ingrained in my brain and I suppose subsconsciously, I think my photos would be better for it. I've always had a special love of photo journalism and travel photography, gained from the National Geographic, and those guys were frequently pictured with the Lieca around their neck and ownership of the same camera would get me a little closer to that world.

Of course, as the above reviews suggest, the X1 takes only slightly better photo's in specific circumstances over a drastically cheaper alternative, but whilst it may not make financial sense, I think we are missing the point a little. To some of us ownership of a real Lecia is something we've dreamed of, and if this brings that dream a little closer to reality, then it has to be a good thing. Some things just make you feel a little more special and Leica is one of those things.

These purchases never make sense when you look at them through the eyes of an accountant. Why buy a Rolex over a Seiko or a Ferrari over a Lotus?
chn68b

Postby uKrris » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:10 pm

DM,

Great read ( once again ) ;)
Stay well, Chris.
( R2; GX100; GRD3 )
uKrris
Site Supporter

Postby Detail Man » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:21 pm

chn68b wrote:... To some of us ownership of a real Lecia is something we've dreamed of, and if this brings that dream a little closer to reality, then it has to be a good thing. Some things just make you feel a little more special and Leica is one of those things.

Understood. I experience a similar pleasure where it comes to the existence of Leica-branded lens-systems on my Panasonic Lumix cameras ... :P

"Man makes holy what he believes as he makes beautiful what he loves."
- Ernest Renan
Detail Man
Site Supporter

Previous

Return to Other Cameras