strange spot in every photo

Answers on Frequently Asked GX100 Questions

strange spot in every photo

Postby lucridders » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:32 pm

Hello, it seems that I am not very happy with my GX100. Anyhow, since yesterday I notice on every picture, whatever setting I use the same spot. How this can be? I hope they will give a new camera as this camera surely is made on a Monday as we say.
20071002_15.jpg
(198.17 KiB) Downloaded 1607 times
lucridders

Re: strange spot in every photo

Postby lucridders » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:42 am

It seems not only to be a bad behavior this lens wobbling, but I discovered also the black spot on my pictures (the reason for it). I carefully blowed out with compressed air the spaces between the wobbling lens and see what happend!!! The black spot was gone. You have to know that I am using all the time (95%) the extension tube HA-2 and on top of it a UV filter. So, I ask myselves where that dirt can come from??? It has to be in the camera when assembled, if not I am afraid that you can not use the GX100 in normal conditions without having sooner or later this problem. The black spot is gone now, but now I have to check where the dirt is situated in the camera. I asked Ricoh what they will do with it and I wait for an answer. As told before, the way Ricoh thinks is nice, but I have to say that in many reviews the GX100 is marked as average or just recommanded. I have to agree this. In fact a good camera, but with lots of stupid things that can be avoided when they study more a model before selling.
lucridders

Postby lucridders » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:24 pm

I checked further the results regarding the wobling lens. I can say with 100% sure that it is affecting the final result of the picture in some situations. Semms not to be normal to me when it is affecting the endresult = the picture. I will open now lyselves the camera completely as I am very interested as electro-mechanical engneer to see how this is made in fact. For those people who are wondering how to open the GX100, it is very simple and is in fact a piece of cake to do so. Reaching the sensor is quite easy to eventually clean it. Note that dust will enter the lens anyhow sooner or later. The options I was reading in this forum "blowing with air" seems totally wrong. dust will be blowed all over than instead of taking it away!!!
lucridders

Postby michielvandam » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:52 pm

I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY GX 100, A BIG BLACK SPOT OFF TO THE LEFT OF THE CENTRE OF THE IMAGE. I HAVE SENT THE CAMERA BACK TO RICOH FOR REPAIR, I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A SENSOR PROBLEM, AS I PAINSTACKINGLY CLEAN THE LENS WHENEVER THE PROBLEM ARRISED. I WILL LET YOU KNOW ABOUT RICOH'S REACTION. FOR THE REST I MUST SAY THAT I LIKE THE CAMERA VERY MUCH, I USE SOFT SETTINGS SO THE IMAGE COMES OUT WITHOUT TOO MUCH CONTRAST, WHICH I CAN ALWAYS ADD LATER IN PHOTOSHOP.
OBVIOUSLY, HIGH CONTRAST SHOULD BE AVOIDED WHEN SHOUTING WITH A COMPACT CAMERA WITH A SMALL SENSOR.
TAKING THE LIMITATIONS INTO ACCOUNT, IT IS A GREAT ADDITION FOR MY WORK AS A TRAVEL REPORTER/ PHOTOGRAPHER.
michielvandam

Postby -MM- » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:39 pm

NO NEED TO SHOUT ;-)
Ricoh usually replaces the lens-sensor assembla for free during warranty.

lucridders: If you open you your gx100 be sure to take a alot of pictures for documentation
-MM-

Postby odklizec » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:12 pm

As I mentioned to michielvandam, lucridders left us some long time ago because of his flame posts. So I would not expect any answer from him ;)
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby -MM- » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:46 pm

oh I just saw the date... would have been interesting to see the pictures from inside though....
-MM-

Return to FAQ