A Question To You All On The Topic Of Shift Lenses

General discussion about photo editing and retouching

Re: A Question To You All On The Topic Of Shift Lenses

Postby Wiener » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:00 am

Blow-in wrote:If only there was a remote view finder capability you would be able to hoist the camera on a very long pole (monopod gone mad) and trigger the camera with your wireless remote - also not available as standard. Of course you could always use the long pole with the camera set to interval and see what you got.

Richard

Richard,
I actually saw some guy with the rig you described a couple of years back. He had a small camera mounted on a 4 meter high pole with some sort of trigger release at ground level. He was pointing and shooting at the crowd below without realy knowing what he was a achieving, but with digital that is no great hardship.
In theory, you could have a wireless trigger and an long extension on an EV which would allow you to see what the camera was seeing before shooting...now that WOULD be fun! :D
Andy
Wiener
Site Supporter

Location: Vienna, or Scotland, or anywhere around about, or in between...

Postby autochrome » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:13 pm

very good idea, the monopod with shutter release!
I am a professional by years of argentic king size Linhof 8'x10'; and I used a lot the tilt and shift; almost systematically in architecture photography ; often in industrial photography (machines, etc); also inside of tenement, to avoid seeing my own picture in an image (mirroir, glaze); also to make correspond the plan of neatness with the plan of my subject (models, etc...)
this is a poundy technic,only on tripod,but it works fantastic!
autochrome

Postby Wiener » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi autochrome,
I could have seen myself following your route to perfection in the past, but I cannot see myself returning to film at the moment.
The shift lens I was looking at was 35mm but with the GXR crop factor I would have ended up with a very heavy, old, slow and quite expensive 'standard lens'. I talked myself out of it!
For now I may go for a 35mm f1.2 lens and do what I can in the PP. Not sure if this will produce satisfying results though!
All the best,
Andy
Wiener
Site Supporter

Location: Vienna, or Scotland, or anywhere around about, or in between...

Postby autochrome » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi Wiener
I did not want to recommend the return to the film it is about past epoch.
I have just wanted to tell this: yes the tilt and shift am still very useful, sometimes irreplaceable!
The conditions of shot which I met in the past always exist, and it is the only means to solve them; but disadvantages also are still there: a bit heavy equipment, and therefore static pictures! (and so a bit a lot expansive!)
But it is perfectly possible in numerical; correction by software does not allow sames isues.Never!
Regards
autochrome

Previous

Return to Photo Editing and Retouching Talk