New to software

General discussion about photo editing and retouching

New to software

Postby sparx » Sat May 25, 2013 6:54 pm

I imagine this is a dumb newbie question but I come from a film background where the picture you take is what you get.
I have a Canon S95 which is being replaced by a GRD IV. I never used software with any of the pics I took with the S95, Don't know how to use it and wonder how and why it is used.
So, tell me why you use the software and what would you recommend to someone who has never used it before?
Remember, I come from a film back and I did not process on my own. Thank you
(I have an unopened box of Corel Paint Shop, V4, I bought two years ago when I got my S95, nevr opened the box)
sparx

Re: New to software

Postby wok64 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi, I use Lightroom. The main advantage to use it is that it makes organising images easy, so you will find your images even years later. Sometimes I don't hit the exposure of an image properly or - more often - I want to convert to B&W. In dark ligth I may want to remove some of the noise in the image. These are cases where software comes in handy. It somehow increases the number of keepers.

Starting with the software you have available may be a good idea to find out if you like tweaking your images or not. Buying the expensive stuff just to find out you don't like to use it is not a good idea.

Best regards,
Wolfgang
wok64

Re: New to software

Postby quester » Sat May 25, 2013 8:36 pm

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10362

Hi sparx, take a look at this thread from a few days ago, if you haven't seen it. Good luck.
quester
Site Supporter

Return to Photo Editing and Retouching Talk