Safe External Flash for GRD

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital

Nikon SB30

Postby norrinradd » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:59 pm

hi,

i have a nikon SB-30 and it seems to work fine on my GRD...i still haven't found the sweet spot though with regards the settings for the cam and flash...but i like it as it keeps the GRD a nice little package! :D

will post soon how my trials go...cheers!

nr :mrgreen:
norrinradd

Re: Safe External Flash for GRD

Postby bs85 » Wed May 07, 2008 4:43 am

what flash is yone using? looks like it might be that sb 30
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandonshigeta/2472747066/
bs85

Postby norrinradd » Wed May 21, 2008 9:42 am

hmmm...yes, it does look like an SB30...thanks for the link....

bs85 wrote:what flash is yone using? looks like it might be that sb 30
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandonshigeta/2472747066/
norrinradd

Postby j1b3h0 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:25 pm

I hooked up my rediculously large Nikon SB-28 (which is claimed to stop the wings of a hummingbird at 200 yards). I've got some reading to do - with the GRD in auto and the flash settings set to 28mm, the strobe fires when I take the image but the pics look lighting by searchlight!
j1b3h0

Postby nigelcummings » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:26 am

I have been using a Sunpak PF20XD Electronic Slave/Wireless Flash Unit with my GRD, it features both hotshoe and off camera connectivity, it is supplied with a useful attachment bracket for side mounting on the Ricoh GRD / GRDII, It is also equipped with a useful built in wide angle diffuser which can both soften and widen the flash coverage it can provide. In the UK, this flash is priced about £45. The Specification is as follows

Compatible with digital cameras triggered by wireless auto flash or equipped with hotshoe
3 f-stop auto ranges (F2.8, F4, F5.6)
Built-in wide angle difuser for more than 24mm
Supplied with camera mounting bracket for non hot shoe use
Uses 3 AA alkaline or NiMH batteries
Or, uses 3 AA alkaline or 3 AA NiMH batteries
Powerful considering its size - Guide number is 66' (20 m) at 24mm
Variable power output available from dial at the back of the flash unit- 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32
Oh yes, and I forgot, it looks as if it may have been designed for use with GRD compacts :)

I tried to insert a photo of the Sunpak in this post, but have not succeeded, so to take a look at it, more info and a photo can be seen at: http://www.sunpak.com/sunpak/flashunits.html
nigelcummings

Postby thelps » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:15 am

I really think Ricoh could add a small dedicated flash gun to their GX/GR system lineup.

The add on lenses and other bits are very welcome, but if they can add a flashgun which slips onto the hotshoe or has an accessory bracket with integrated contacts like the Contax T3 system they would sell heaps.

Tim
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Postby mrgsaad » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:43 am

nigelcummings wrote:I have been using a Sunpak PF20XD Electronic Slave/Wireless Flash Unit with my GRD, it features both hotshoe and off camera connectivity, it is supplied with a useful attachment bracket for side mounting on the Ricoh GRD / GRDII, It is also equipped with a useful built in wide angle diffuser which can both soften and widen the flash coverage it can provide. In the UK, this flash is priced about £45.

Hi,

Interested on Sunpak PF20XD for my GR II..can anyone explain, which model should I buy..model for Nikon, Canon or Sony.

Thanks
mrgsaad

Postby odklizec » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:27 am

Hi mrgsaad and welcome here! This auto/manual flash unit is compatible with all cameras. So there is no Ricoh or any manufacturer specific model.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby mrgsaad » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks odklizec...

Just got GRD II lastweek and still learning and explore it functions..can anyone confirm is it Sigma EF-140 DG which specially made for DP1 compatible on GRD II..just planning to order it at my local shop.

What is the basic setup on compatible Sigma flash and GR II to make all the features, TTL work..

Thanks
mrgsaad

Re: Safe External Flash for GRD / Hacking The Pre-Flash

Postby aeiou11235 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:11 pm

Merde. Thanks for this post. I also thought I'm going mad. I bought the Panasonic PE-20s (only in Japan available) for my GRDII. In slave-mode it totally doesn't work. Is there any way (eg a hack) to work around the pre-flash so it works?
aeiou11235

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GR Digital