Safe External Flash for GRD

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital

Re: Safe External Flash for GRD

Postby Colman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:51 am

Dial down the internal flash to -2 and let the big boys do the heavy lifting, closing up the aperture on the camera as appropriate. Are you using the vivitars in optical slave mode?
Colman

Postby odklizec » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:25 am

Hi Bill and welcome here!
There is a very useful site listing many old flashes and their voltage. So you can search for your flash and determine if it's safe or not.
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

BillBingham2 wrote:I have some old Vivitar flashes that I love and am wondering how to balance the high output hand held flash with the built in baby flash. Anybody had any experience with this?

Thanks.

B2 (;->
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby BillBingham2 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:25 pm

Coleman,

I was planning optical slave but with so many folks with PHDs these days I might look for a PC to HotShoe adapter that will reduce the voltage to something safe. While I hate wires will have to give it a go first with optical and then if I hit lots of problems go that route. My 292s might be just the trick for size, power and aperture.

odkizec,

Thanks. I hang out over on RFF most of the time, but figure I need to migrate here a bit as my GR-D1 is my primary carry everywhere camera these days. It's replaced my Bessa L & 25/4 combo that I loved. Still learning lots and like this site.

Thanks again.

B2 (;->
BillBingham2

Postby Colman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:32 pm

The GR-D emits pre-flashes that will screw up most optical slaves. I use an optical slave on an ancient Olympus flash (that's about 2in x 2in in size), triggered by my Metz 20 C-2, but I can't use it with the built-in flash. There's no manual flash mode and no way to turn off the preflashes.
Colman

Postby Lili » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Colman wrote:The GR-D emits pre-flashes that will screw up most optical slaves. I use an optical slave on an ancient Olympus flash (that's about 2in x 2in in size), triggered by my Metz 20 C-2, but I can't use it with the built-in flash. There's no manual flash mode and no way to turn off the preflashes.

Preflashes?
What preflashes?
What flash mode are you using?
Red Eye will do that but the single lightning bolt will justflash once and works great with optical slave units.
Lili
Site Supporter

Postby BillBingham2 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:42 pm

What a wonderful feature!!!

Seems I am on the look out for a voltage reducing PC to Hotshoe adapter. Such is life. I kind of remember my slave having a sunlight switch (it's been years), perhaps that will help. Kind of messes with the use of a viewfinder a bit but need to see.

Thanks for the warning.

B2 (;->
BillBingham2

Postby Lili » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:50 pm

BillBingham2 wrote:What a wonderful feature!!!

Seems I am on the look out for a voltage reducing PC to Hotshoe adapter. Such is life. I kind of remember my slave having a sunlight switch (it's been years), perhaps that will help. Kind of messes with the use of a viewfinder a bit but need to see.

Thanks for the warning.

B2 (;->

Bill my little Sunpak work great as optical slave, it even has a mode to deal with pre-flash, however I despise the dealy red eye flash gives and only use my GRD with simple flash mode, in that mode ANY optical slave should work just fine
Lili
Site Supporter

Postby Colman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:52 pm

Nope, I'm definitely getting early firing with the slave I'm using and simple flash mode. I'll run another test later: I may be going mad.
Colman

Postby Colman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:08 pm

Just remembered to check: I'm now quite certain that the GR-D II is setting off the optical slave I have early, in all flash modes. According to http://www.gdargaud.net/Photo/RicohGR.html the GR-D II has a pre-flash while the GR-D doesn't. In fact, the manual, on pages 40 and 47 in the english version, states that the GR-D II fires a pre-flash.

So I'm not insane. Well, not in this case.
Colman

Postby Lili » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:25 pm

Colman wrote:Just remembered to check: I'm now quite certain that the GR-D II is setting off the optical slave I have early, in all flash modes. According to http://www.gdargaud.net/Photo/RicohGR.html the GR-D II has a pre-flash while the GR-D doesn't. In fact, the manual, on pages 40 and 47 in the english version, states that the GR-D II fires a pre-flash.

So I'm not insane. Well, not in this case.

Ahhh....something to think about in re gertting a GRD II :)
Lili
Site Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Ricoh GR Digital