GRD RAW writing speeds. Test of various SD cards

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital

Re: GRD RAW writing speeds. Test of various SD cards

Postby norrinradd » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:05 am

hi! thanks for the welcome...well, i tried it and you are right...that's really unfortunate though...is this more of hardware issue than a software one?

odklizec wrote:Hi norrinradd and welcome here! I'm sorry to disappoint you, but GRD is definitely not SDHC capable. Not even with the latest FW.
norrinradd

Sandisk Extreme III and Toshiba Class 6

Postby norrinradd » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:52 pm

hi,

i've tested my sandisk extreme III 2gb and toshiba class 6 (ultra high speed type) cards...my settings are raw/jpeg (fine)

sandisk - 24-25 blinks
toshiba - 17 blinks

weird though when i first used the toshiba it took 29 blinks to record! i formatted it first before using for the first time...i reformatted and tested again and it worked as tested (17 blinks)...

disappointed with the sandisk :shock: ...they're supposed to have the same write times (20mb/sec)...oh well...i'll buy another toshiba next time...cheaper too!!! :P

hope this helps,

nr
norrinradd

Postby kfflee » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:35 pm

2GB Toshiba Pro High Speed class 6 (RAW+N640) ..................... 14-15 Blinks
kfflee

Postby nigelcummings » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:20 pm

Hello, I recently bought a GRD 8MP version for a bargain price of £179 at my local Jessops photo store. I love the camera and particularly the results I get at low ISO settings and RAW format. I have to say that whatever the price I had no intention of buying the 10MP later version as I feel 8MP is pretty much optimal for my needs. (Just landscape at 28mm or with the 21mm lens adapter usually) If Ricoh bring out a larger sensor size version however, I might just be persuaded to upgrade, irrepespective of the megapixel size :)

I gather from this forum, that it is not possible to switch off simultaneous JPEG creation when creating RAW files. The big problem I get with the GRD 8MP in RAW mode is the excruciatingly slow writing times to storage cards . Can anyone please tell me if I am right in assuming that setting the camera's capture to RAW + Normal and low RES jpeg capture, will save speed writing to storage cards. I heard somwhere (and perhaps wrongly) that setting to RAW +N640 offers no advantage as the camera interpolates the jpeg up to 8MP anyway, and this in itself takes extra time. What would be, in your opinions please, the best settings to achieve the best possible writing times to storage card with the GRD 8MP?

I really dont want to shhot in JPEG only mode as I appreciate the finer gradation, better tonal range and controlability afforded by shooting in RAW format.
nigelcummings

Postby odklizec » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi Nigel and welcome here! Yes, the slow RAW writing speed is the achille heel of the GRD. Using N640 JPEG does help a bit but I'm afraid, nothing dramatic. The difference is about 1sec (or 2-3 led blinks) with reasonable fast card. You can get even a bit faster writing using the 3:2 RAW mode. But don't expect miracles! There is no chance to get faster writing than 7-8secs with GRD1.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby jsrockit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:47 pm

So, the camera really is this slow regarding raw? That's why people are so into its JPEG mode?
Ricoh GR
jsrockit

Postby odklizec » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:27 pm

GRDI is really slow in RAW. But it's not the main reason why people prefer JPEG. It's just that JPEG form GRDI is almost like RAW. There is almost no noise reduction applied in JPEG and the in-camera B&W mode is probably the best you can see in most compact cameras.
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Postby jsrockit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:51 pm

odklizec wrote:GRDI is really slow in RAW. But it's not the main reason why people prefer JPEG. It's just that JPEG form GRDI is almost like RAW. There is almost no noise reduction applied in JPEG and the in-camera B&W mode is probably the best you can see in most compact cameras.

Thanks again sir.
Ricoh GR
jsrockit

Previous

Return to Ricoh GR Digital