RicohForum is going to its end

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital

RicohForum is going to its end

Postby odklizec » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi folks,

How are you? It's been a quite long time since I appeared here ;) A lot of things has changed in my personal life and I'm not much in a photography in these days. I feel a bit ashamed, but all my photography reduced to iPhone snaps and all my camera gear waits for its (next) time in two cardboard boxes :D

I'm happy to see that the forum is still alive and that you are still posting some very nice photos, despite the silence about new Ricoh camera products (not counting Pentax gear ;)). Unfortunately, recent developments forces me to finally close RicohForum. Just today, I received an invoice from RicohForum host (iPage), for whooping 473USD. I moved RicohForum (some 3 years ago) to current host, to lower the hosting cots. Now it appears they significantly increased their fees, and I'm afraid, I'm not willing to cover the hosting anymore. Additionally, actually installed PHPBB is long-time obsolete and I don't feel comfortable to make the necessary updates. And without regular updates, the forum is no longer secure. All in all, it appears that RicohForum is heading to its end. The hosting renewal is scheduled to 06/01/2018. RicohForum should work just fine to this day, then, I'm afraid, it will most probably disappear from this universe.

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to RicohForum over the years (nearly 11 years) and helped with shaping such nice community of photographers and Ricoh enthusiasts.

Thank you all!
Pavel
Pavel Kudrys
---
Flickr gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/odklizec/
odklizec
Site Admin

Re: RicohForum is going to its end

Postby socket » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:59 am

Sorry to hear that Pavel.

I don't post here anymore, but I am a very loyal Ricoh camera man, in part because of this forum community.

I do lurk quite a bit. :)

Recently, I was able to restore my Mother's 80th birthday pictures because of the PhotoRec software recommended on a thread in this site.

This was after a professional IT company make a mess of it, so I am very grateful!

I will miss this site and those who post their pictures on it.

Cheers from Canada!

Mark
A happy GX100 and GXR owner - http://www.pbase.com/socket
socket
Site Supporter

Postby riccadonna » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:05 pm

It`s bloody pity. If it was a question of money we could perhaps make a contribution but if there`s so little interest in posting and commenting then the site is doomed. It`s also a question of site maintenance. Pity too that a corporation like Ricoh doesn`t stretch a helping hand here. Anyway 11 years is a huge success Pavel and it will be remembered. Of course lacking development of Ricoh true heritage cameras like GRD line is partly reason for little interest as in these whats new and better times people forget that great picture were and can be taken with cameras seemingly outdated and obsolete. Anyway, personally I`ll keep posting till the end. Servus Stanislaw
riccadonna

Postby ronniemac » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 pm

This is very sad, but given that so few people are active on this site, it is not surprising.

The question has to be, where are Ricoh users now exchanging their views. I see some in DPReview, others on the Pentax Forums site, some on FB, other in Flickr. Am I missing somewhere important?

I am a quite recent convert to Ricoh, now with GR, GRD, GXR and GX and consider that the resources in this forum are fantastic. It represents almost countless hours of informed exchange and expertise. Pity it can't be archived......or can it?
ronniemac

Return to Ricoh GR Digital