Ricoh GR LCD failure

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital

Ricoh GR LCD failure

Postby streetstory » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:05 pm

On xmas eve my GR LCD went kaputt (see attached image). The camera itself in every other respect is still "usable",
but you can't frame a photograph or see the menus so in practical terms its useless.
I had owned the camera for exactly two years when this happened, the file number of the last image was R0030006.
I mention this for every GR owners awareness and wondered if anyone else had suffered a similar experience.
Incidentally in the weeks leading up to this event the camera was behaving erratically at times. For example in Tav mode I would typically be at f5.6 and 1/320th for street shooting and every 30 shots or so it would drastically overexpose (in normal lighting conditions) to the point where the shot was unusable.
Despite this I still love the camera and intend to buy another.
So I just have one question: as someone who will never use wifi, are there any other improvements on the GRii that are worth having ?
Attachments
GR.jpg
GR.jpg (283.05 KiB) Viewed 514 times

EXIF-Data
Image taken on: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:07 pm
Focus length: 23 mm
Shutter speed: 1/125 Sec
F-number: F/5.6
ISO speed rating: 6400
Whitebalance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Camera-model: X100T
Exposure program: Manual
Exposure bias: 0 EV
Metering mode: Pattern
streetstory

Re: Ricoh GR LCD failure

Postby thelps » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:03 am

streetstory wrote:So I just have one question: as someone who will never use wifi, are there any other improvements on the GRii that are worth having ?

The GRII has a larger RAW buffer,this will mean you can get more shutter presses quickly before the camera will stop taking images.
As you mention that you are a street photog it could be useful.
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Re: Ricoh GR LCD failure

Postby riccadonna » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:13 pm

Poor you, them bloody shortcomings on otherwise perfect camera. I mean if they allowed for external EVF like on old GDIII or GXR then one could use it instead. I had worse experience, kept it in the coat pocket and somehow came to crack LCD with keys in my trouser pocket. Costed me some 100 bucks to have a new one. On other hand you have reason to go for GRII. To tell the truth sometimes I miss wi-fi remote through the handy but in fact I miss much more tiltable LCD for waist shots (comming Fuji X70 has it, do you hear me Ricoh). I do wish Ricoh would at least add a function in next FW I was advocating for GXR. A simple and elegant solution for tiltable LCD, an option to flip the display upsidedown so I could see the upright with the help of a mirror. I do wish Ricoh would listen to us incarnate Ricoholics but alas.
riccadonna

Return to Ricoh GR Digital