Display Settings

Discussion about Ricoh GR Digital

Display Settings

Postby ste303 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi there
Is there a way to set up the display to only show information and no live view? it would be practical while working with a viewfinder.. i dont manage to turn of live view even if i know how to adjust display setting sin general.
ste303

Re: Display Settings

Postby ste303 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:30 pm

sorry was meant for the ricoh GR (V) ..
ste303

Postby thelps » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:49 am

There is some control over the display during image taking. Have a look at page 110 of the manual. From what I can see there, you can't turn off liveview leaving Graphic and/or Information on.
What I assume you'd like is for the rear LCD to be like the top LCD on some DSLRs has?

This maybe a Firmware addition for Ricoh.
Tim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

| Ricoh GRD I Limited | Ricoh GRD II | Ricoh GRD III | Ricoh GRD IV | Ricoh GR | and some inspiration
thelps
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:37 am

thelps wrote:There is some control over the display during image taking. Have a look at page 110 of the manual. From what I can see there, you can't turn off liveview leaving Graphic and/or Information on.
What I assume you'd like is for the rear LCD to be like the top LCD on some DSLRs has?

Yes it can be done. You have to read the manual carefully and it is neatly designed so that you cannot turn off "everything" and therefore disable your lcd altogether!

Each column is a screen window and each row is what can be on or off. So the screen views can be customised and the user can also select how many items are shown in each. I thought I had set up blank with indicators only - aperture/shutter-speed etc but on a quick try I am getting overall blank. But I seem to remember that a soft press brings them up for a moment and the screen then blanks out again - but that is not working either - time to revisit the manual - page 110 you say ?

The idea is to be able to keep the camera visually quiet in cases where this might disturb others - such as an audience.

Something less complicated was a late firmware upgrade as far back as the GRD I think.

Obviously I know about it but am not a big user of the rather neat feature.

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby Tom Caldwell » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:18 am

Tom Caldwell wrote:
thelps wrote:There is some control over the display during image taking. Have a look at page 110 of the manual. From what I can see there, you can't turn off liveview leaving Graphic and/or Information on.

Yes it can be done. You have to read the manual carefully and it is neatly designed so that you cannot turn off "everything" and therefore disable your lcd altogether!

Each column is a screen window and each row is what can be on or off. So the screen views can be customised and the user can also select how many items are shown in each. I thought I had set up blank with indicators only - aperture/shutter-speed etc but on a quick try I am getting overall blank. But I seem to remember that a soft press brings them up for a moment and the screen then blanks out again - but that is not working either - time to revisit the manual - page 110 you say ?

The idea is to be able to keep the camera visually quiet in cases where this might disturb others - such as an audience.

Something less complicated was a late firmware upgrade as far back as the GRD I think.

Obviously I know about it but am not a big user of the rather neat feature.

Tom

Wrong wrong wrong ... cannot get it to do it the regular screen comes up with the overlays whichever way you switch them around - it is either on with various overlays or off. Strange as you could once switch off the lcd and just leave the shooting numbers lit.

May there is some way of doing this? Any gurus ...

Tom
Tom Caldwell
Coffs Harbour
Tom Caldwell
Site Supporter

Postby matthewshore » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:57 pm

Not quite a full solution, but if you set the AEL/AFL button to just AEL, then pressing the button shows you the info without the live view. But, when you press the shutter it goes away again. I shoot mostly in aperture priority, so it's good to quickly see what the shutter speed will be before I shoot so I can adjust the ISO accordingly.
matthewshore

Return to Ricoh GR Digital