Well, don't give up on polarizers so quickly, please: UV filters and polarizers are very different beasts: UV filters are (if at all) lens protections today. However, polarizers do very lovely things (by cutting out reflections):
- make a blue sky bluer (filtering light reflected by moisture in the air)
- make a forest (or a plant) green instead of green-and-white (reflections from leaves)
- allows to take pictures through windows (reflections from the glas)
- same for people wearing glasses
- and many other things (table tops appear wooden again; garments get structure back)
In other words: polarizers are among the very, very few filters that still make sense in the digital world!