display preview question

Discussion about Ricoh GR

display preview question

Postby t-legiaw » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:48 am

Today I made a test recording where the ambient light actually was too weak - and of course the picture was too dark.

I am wondering why the preview on the display isn't also too dark - at least when the measurement is completed (by pressing the shutter button halfway).

But the preview was always looking so much brighter than it is in reality - as if the light would be sufficient to take a picture.

Is there a menu setting somewhere to change for a more realistic preview?
t-legiaw

Re: display preview question

Postby t-legiaw » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:53 pm

Wow - firmware 3.0 fixed it!

Simply change the mysterious "ambient brightness" setting to "original" and you are done!

Well done Ricoh!
t-legiaw

Postby Kaver » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:59 pm

How ambient brightness work? It working only on jpeg?
Thanks
Kaver

Postby t-legiaw » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Hi Kaver,

In my understanding it has nothing to do with JPEG/RAW. It changes only the display preview.

With the 2.x firmware when shooting in a weak ambient light the picture shown on the display was much too bright. Now it is realistic (aka "what you see is what you get").
t-legiaw

Postby Kaver » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:26 pm

t-legiaw wrote:Hi Kaver,

In my understanding it has nothing to do with JPEG/RAW. It changes only the display preview.

With the 2.x firmware when shooting in a weak ambient light the picture shown on the display was much too bright. Now it is realistic (aka "what you see is what you get").

Ah so, i'll try it very soon
Thanks ;)
Kaver

Postby blue_quartz » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:46 am

I think the change goes more than just the display... of course, any Setting(menu)-related setting should mean it does not manipulate the output unlike the Shooting settings, but the note does say:

"The RAW images taken with [Original] can be developed with [Normal] in [RAW Development] of the [Playback] menu (However, the ones taken with [Normal] cannot be developed with [Original])"

So still a mystery here...?
blue_quartz

Return to Ricoh GR